Pages

Thursday, February 6, 2014

Hazel & Houston // lessons learned

Lessons I've Learned While Watching Two 3-Year-Olds
1. patience
this lesson is very important. one that needs to be learned by everyone - even if you don't work with children. some helpful hints: 
count to 10! 
take a deep breath! 
smile - even if you're fuming. 
count to 10 again.
take like, 5 more deep breaths.

2. telling a child "because I said so" is powerful.
growing up when an adult would say this to me it would make me angry. who gave them a right to be able to have such a say in matters?! but now that I'm considered a "grown up" that phrase has saved me from trying to justify why it's not like, the best idea to run around the house with no underwear on. 

3. how to make PB&J - very quickly
when Hazel and Houston decide they are hungry and ready for lunch they mean they are ready RIGHT. THIS. MINUTE. so I've learned to ask them about 15 minutes til noon and then when they say "no" I go up to the kitchen and start preparing their food anyway. once they see the bread coming out and the peanut butter jar open, they are suddenly saying "my belly is empty!" but Miss Hannah is there to swoop in and fill those bellies! 

4. being silly is a much better way to get things done
so the other day I had to go into Houston's room and wake him up from a nap. I just hated doing it because I knew the little guy was so comfortable and warm but I didn't want him bouncing on the walls at 11:00 PM and then Chris and Annette hating me. I walked in quietly, sat on the edge of his bed and tapped his shoulder..."Houston, time to get up..." he responded when a grumble and pulling the blankets over his head. I took his sock monkey and started tickling him with it and talking with my best impression of Nasim Pedrad's character Arianna Huffington from SNL - if that means nothing to you then I just used a silly voice :) 
I said things like, "ooooh Mr. Houston, why are you so sleeeeeepy?" and "ooooh Mr. Houston it's time to get uuuuup!" Hazel crawled into his room and up to his bed and we tickled him awake and got him laughing. I tell this story because I have caught myself getting frustrated when them and using my more "stern, teacher" voice. Even though that "voice" gets things done - being silly and making them both laugh was so much rewarding. I pray for patience every day and I think I'll start praying for a silly spirit as well.

5. hugs, kisses, and nap time are thee greatest things. ever. 
Hazel is the sweetest girl in the world. her hugs make my heart swell with love. even better? one day I was on the couch, being silly when Houston was upset about no more Mickey Mouse Clubhouse (a travesty, really.) I had started to fake cry, making lots of whining noises and pretend "cry hiccups." Hazel crawled over the couch, lifted up my hand and kissed it. then I almost started to real cry because it was the sweetest gesture! Houston has been known to say things like, "this is really fun, Miss Hannah!" and "why you have to go home?" I love them so much! I mention nap time because well, as most baby sitters/mothers/fathers/grandparents/etc. know..once they are asleep you sigh a sigh of relief and tip toe away from their door doing a dance. or is that just me? when even Houston slept the other day? I had a 30 second dance party in the kitchen. (Grey's Anatomy fans will understand that one.) 

I have learned so much from these kiddos. They are so precious to me and The Lord and I'm so happy that I've been given this opportunity to watch them! 








living room picnic
xoxo 
H

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com | Header Image by Freepik