Pages

Monday, October 7, 2013

A Weekend at Westminster

as mentioned a couple of posts ago in my "things coming up" segment (that sounds so official!) I had a trip to see my friend Shannon planned. Shannon's 22nd birthday was September 16th so on the 13th I went to Westminster College in Fulton, MO to spend the weekend with her. 
on the road there...

I got there Friday afternoon and waited for her to get out of class. We joyously hugged hello (her hugs are the BEST) and took my stuff into her dorm. She's an RA so she has a room all to herself. Part of her being an RA includes doing fun activities with her hall - things like water balloon fights and slip 'n slides. we ran to a dollar store, got balloons, and filled those babies up. talk about a good time. Westminster is a small, private school and it was so cool to see how different the student life is there compared to a "big" school like MSU. kids (I say kids because it was the freshman quad and I felt ANCIENT) hung out all around with each other. 

after an intense water balloon fight and some slippin' 'n slidin' (I watched that part) we ate some dinner that was prepared by the dining hall. burgers, hot dogs, fries, and some very yummy cookies. we sat around and talked with the students. I met a lot of people and they were so so nice. I kept telling Shannon how nervous I was - it'd been so long since I'd been around lots of people "my age" besides Bradee and Annie! It was silly to be nervous, but a perk to having Shannon as a close friend? you can tell her you're nervous and she will roll her eyes in a nice way and say "oh stop." and it somehow helps you not be so nervous. 

Friday night we hung out with Shannon's sorority sisters - something else I was nervous about. once again I was shown I had no need for fear - these girls were great. I really really enjoyed talking with them. of course we talked about boys a lot, so who wouldn't like that? ;) 

on Saturday morning we slept in and then another good friend from high school, Madeline came! we three girls ate brunch with other RAs before going to the football game. it was a beautiful day and Shannon let us wear some of her Blue Jays gear so we didn't stick out TOO much :) 
sports!

after the game Madeline's twin sister, Meredith got to town. it was so great to see her again - I saw her earlier in May when I stayed in Chillicothe with Shannon. we stopped by the JV soccer game and then went to a hog roast. (if I had to sum up the weekend in a couple of words I'd choose food, sports, and friends. I ate SO much and watched a lot of sports!)

after the hog roast (with the pig's head on display and everything) we went back to Shannon's room. Meredith and I took a nap - I don't remember planning that? it just happened and it was glorious. then we went back out to hang with the Theta girls. 

Sunday morning we got up and met Shannon's parents, Dave and Cindy, in Columbia for lunch. it's ALWAYS great seeing them - especially when they graciously buy our Olive Garden. we caught them up on our lives and ate yummy food. we then drove back to Fulton and Shannon opened her birthday presents which made me (really selfishly, I know) excited for my upcoming birthday. she got really cute things, including a sewing kit and CUTE sewing box from her parents. 

we then said our goodbyes, got some last minute "you can do it" advice from Cindy and hugged goodbye in the parking lot, making plans for the next time we'll see each other. 
Meredith, Shannon, me, and Madeline
I'm SO glad we got to spend time together. lots of laughs and memories made. can't wait to do it again!

xoxo,
H

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com | Header Image by Freepik